Saturday, December 10, 2005

Master of the U-turn


Sometimes exploring roads leads you to dead ends. Other times it leads you right where you need to be. Today i got a bit of both, and I dont mind either to be honest. After getting the new tire and rear brakes installed yesterday (46300 miles)I decided to get out today and find some more good roads. I woke up late after a long week at work, and going out to relax and meet some people last night but I got on the road about noon and headed towards Franklin to explore one of the roads I pass everyday on my way to work. I have been eyeing Coon creek road for quite some time as I can see two beautiful switchbacks raising into the mountains and falling in the other side of the ridge. As I climed the mountain and warmed my tires up I found how much I missed having a rear tire with good traction. Passing rocky face gem mine I steared off to the right to enjoy a new road. It starts out great scraping right and then to the left I ride up the swell and look down from the top of Cowee Mountain. The road crosses a gravel path and dives to the oter side of the valley and dead ends. Oh well now I know this one is not worth taking again. Making the first of many u-turns for the day I head back the mountain and towards Franklin.

Heading off of Cowee I take another road off to the right and hit 28 north. I have been on route 28 before but never in this direction. I usually end up taking it on my way back from the dragon. I cross over onto tellico road and try to explore some more. The road is great for every reason. Twists and turns and a steady climb in elevation. The slow climb tells me I am in for a fun descent for them mountain. I reach the apex of the mountain and get dissappinted when I see gravel leading me down the other side. Pulling a nice u-turn i manage to head back up the mountain. Impressed with my control over the bike I made the tough up hill u-turn on a narrow gravel road I smile and continue past a church that is really nice setting on top of a hill with tombstone in front of it leading down to me.

Heading back toward Bryson City Road (rt 28) I take a random right and head down Lower Firhouse road 9I think that is the name). Passing a few farms with cows, horses, mules, and alpacas I begin to relax and unwind from work. Passing small rolling hills betwen the hovering mountains I smile and lean back and relax and I break a footpeg. I have run through many footpegs on this bike but this time the end completely snapped off allowing it to spin freely for the resat of the day. Semi laughing and worrying it may flying off I continue on my pace.

Wondering where I will come out and when I can get gas so that evil little light stops staring up at me. Weaving through the fields and farms I finally end up back at brsyon city road. Filling up for gas and passing through Franklin I deide to head to Georgia and explore further out of my realm. Traveling south on Georgia road I take a side trip to Tessentee road. Another good road but yet another dead end after about 12 miles twists. Maybe I should starting looking at a map before hand. Finally I find Sky valley road. By far one of the best roads I have ever ridden. it is two lanes heading up to mountain with some switchback and great banked curves. In the distance aI see a huge waterfall and I try to find my way to it. Climbing the mountain and losing my sence of direction I stop at the overlook at the top to reorient myself and find the waterfall. I was not able to see it but I could hear it. Twisting towards highlands I pass mountain mansions that amaze me with their size, the amount of windows, and mostly with the view they must have from within.

Passing through highlands I swing past bridal veil falls and take ellijay road home. Ellijay is a fun road I take home from work all of the time. it is about 18 miles of great twists and turns. Today was no exception. I exited the mountain and headed home. 128 miles, one ruined footpeg, and many curves, beautiful views I pulled into my carport and smile.

-Pictures coming-

No comments: