Saturday, July 21, 2007

I could just kick myself.

If you have ever said that then I have the place for you to go. Outside of New Bern NC there is a little antique store called Martha's Favorite Things that has a self kicking machine. Yes you read that right. A self kicking machine.

Why, you ask? Why not? That is why.

The machine itself is quite unique. Obviously. On the right hand side of the contraption is an "X", cross, 4 spoked thingy with a boot on each limb. When you stand with your butt facing the boots, you lean forward and wind the crank that spins a pulley, then a belt, and then the boots. Very neat, but admittedly useless, machine.

I loved it!!!

In this day and age where I get lost in bigger, better, faster, more a contraption as simple as this entertained me for hours. Well maybe not directly butt he ride there and back did take me over 13.5 hours. Talk about entertainment!!

Earlier in the week I rediscovered a website that amused me in the past, http://www.roadsideamerica.com/. A fun site to visit when you like to travel and are easily amused by strange, fun, off the beaten path pieces of Americana. I found the self kicking machine a few weeks ago and finally found the time, energy and desire for a long ride. I planned a ride that would be about 260 miles one way. A very nice days ride on some great back roads.

I woke up about 6:00 and hopped on the bike and set out. I immediately realized the error in my ways again. My GPS (Garmin 60csx) uses a different routing routine than the computer does. I figure it is no big deal and hit the road. The rising sun in the east blinds me at times, but also gives me great energy for the day.

I get into the some back roads and find my groove. When I look at the speedometer I realize my groove is about 15 over the speed limit. Oh well. It is a nice day, decent roads, and if I get a ticket I will have a chance in the afternoon to kick myself for it.

I blindly follow the glowing box on the handle bars and make a few turns. Before I can help it I'm on a four lane road blasting along. Not my idea of good back roads!! I make a random turn and after a few miles I end up on another 4 lane. I get frustrated with the number of four lane roads I get stuck on but learn to enjoy it and the green surroundings. The eastern part of the state is boring, but beautiful to me. It is flat, green, and from what I see today kind of straight. I try not to be discouraged at my mistakes and enjoy the rest of the ride to New Bern.

When I get within ten miles of the site of the self-masochistic machine I hit a snag. The draw-bridge that is supposed to carry me over the inlet is closed. After a short detour that I improvised I was heading towards the rain clouds, and my ultimate goal. I slow as I approach the spot where the GPS says I can expect to find the store, but I see nothing. I get frustrated, confused, and briefly saddened until I see it!! On the opposite side of the four lane highway as I was expecting and flying by me at 70 mph, but I see it. I switch lanes, pop a u-turn and pull in.

I don't know what I was expecting. The machine was exactly as advertised, and a great deal of fun. But for some reason I felt kind of unhappy. Maybe it was because this adventure was over, or maybe it was because I had to head home. After a few quick kicks, and smiles from passers by, I saddle up and head up.

After grabbing a quick bite at Ham's I decide to head home. Another 200+ miles, slow stupid drivers, and I'm sitting in my apartment reminiscing and planning my next trip. Perhaps a ride to the Pisgah covered bridge which I saw signs for today.

Until my next adventure be sure to check out the route I took and enjoy a few pictures.


No comments: